Arnold von Bruck

Discussions relating to performance, interpretation, score preparation, musica ficta etc.
deanh

Arnold von Bruck

Post by deanh »

I am looking for english score of Arnold von Bruck's CHRIST THE LORD IS RISEN. Any leads?
mjolnir

Arnold von Bruck

Post by mjolnir »

Brodt Music in Charlotte, NC, published an English translation of this in 1961, set by an indivudual named David Pizarro. Your ISP seems to be based in SC, and assuming that's where you are, the first step (IMO) would be to contact Brodt.

OCLC reports a single copy, at the University of Illinois (Accession number 39970876), but it's new enough that you'll likely need either a definitive statement from the U.S. copyright office that the item was never renewed, and is in the public domain, or a letter of permission from the publisher in order to acquire a copy.

There is a chance that this work is, in fact, in other library holdings than just at UIUC; choral music often tends not to be catalogued in OCLC.

If you can use an edition with German words, in 2000, London Pro Musica edition included this in a volume entitled:

Christ ist erstanden : (5 settings, 1470-1570) : for 3-4 voices or instruments.

Besides the von Bruck, the publication includes settings by Isaac, Bernhard, Stolzer, and Lechner.

ns
Cdalitz

Post by Cdalitz »

I bet that most pieces by Arnold von Bruck have also been published in the "Denkmäler der Tonkunst" Editions, which are in almost every music library.

The editions are faithful to the original sources and have appeared in the first half of the 20th century, so that they are now in the public domain. Incidentally there even was a lawsuit about these editions where a publisher sold scans of the old editions. The original publisher tried to stop it (based on the "law against unfair competition"), but lost the law suit. So you can still buy the scans, but the last time I looked at it, the price was too high for me, so I live with the inconvenience of traveling to the nearest library and making photocopies if necessary.