Does CPDL want my performing editions?

Discussions relating to performance, interpretation, score preparation, musica ficta etc.
maiamcc

Does CPDL want my performing editions?

Post by maiamcc »

I often engrave music for my choir, complete with a bunch of markings (dynamics, articulations, etc.) not found in the source material. (Sometimes this is me adding dynamics to a piece that lacks any markings from the composer (e.g. most renaissance music); and sometimes it's me adding my own markings in addition to (or instead of) those provided by the composer, as usually happens when I engrave e.g. Romantic music.)

Do y'all think these performing editions (with my highly editorial dynamics etc.) are worth uploading to CPDL? Or should I only bother uploading scores that are relatively true to the source material? And is your answer different based on genre/era? (E.g. maybe editorial dynamics in a Renaissance edition is fine, but replacing the composer's dynamics with your own editorial ones in a Romantic work is not kosher?)

Thanks for your thoughts!
Maia
choralia
Site Admin

Re: Does CPDL want my performing editions?

Post by choralia »

Hi Maia,

Thank you for considering to contribute to CPDL!

CPDL is "free" in both directions: anybody can freely download sheet music provided by CPDL contributors; and anybody can contribute to CPDL with their own editions. So, please feel free to upload your contributions! I'd just suggest that, if you add or replace original composer's markings on the score, you also specify, for example in the "edition notes" field, that certain markings have been added or replaced etc.

Max