Tuning Exercises

Discussions relating to performance, interpretation, score preparation, musica ficta etc.

Do you warm up before you sing?

yes
63%
No
11%
Sometimes
16%
What kind of a moronic question is this?
11%

Total votes: 19

cool_lightingnerd

Tuning Exercises

Post by cool_lightingnerd »

I am starting a new SSAATTBB A Cappella musical group in Chico California, and I was wondering if anybody had some basic warm-ups and/or tuning exercises that they could suggest to me. If anyone could help in this aspect please do!!
Thanks Everyone
CHGiffen
Site Admin

Post by CHGiffen »

Yes, I regularly do warm ups ... I'm in a hurry now, but I'll try to get back to you on this.

Chuck
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki
LBCjacob

warm ups

Post by LBCjacob »

hey, I'm a chorus kid in the DC area, and we always spend about 1/6 of class just warming up, so I have some suggestions that work pretty well usually

solfege excercises are good for stretching and getting in tune and just getting into a singing mood; I personally like manipulation of the scale:
Do Mi Re Fa Mi Sol Fa La Sol Ti La Do Ti Re Do... Mi Do Re Ti Do La Ti Sol La Fa Sol Mi Fa Re Do

also, for guys (esp in a cappella pieces): ah vowel from the top of their falsetto to the bottom of their natural; good to help purity and tuning of falsetto and helps transitions

alphabet warm-ups help diction mostly, and there are tons of those out there. my fav goes through the alphabet CDEFGFEDC etc, for 'w' use two notes, and then for xyz it's CGC, and slower. not sure how clear that was lol.

email me if you like these and want more
RichardMix

Post by RichardMix »

Chico State has a fabulous choral conductor, Dr. Jeffrey Gemmell, from whom I stole plenty of ideas during the two days we rehearsed CPE Bach's Math. Passion. Beg him to let you into a school group or volunteer for his church choir. He's also an excellent voice teacher to judge by his students.
Warmups depend on what you need, which is hard to diagnose by email. If you just need a challege, I've lately been teaching my choir the octatonic scale-alternating whole and half tones. Do it in (minor) thirds, then explore some chords in more parts:

C D Eb F F# Ab A B C
Eb F F# Ab A B C D
Ab A B C D Eb F F# Ab

Richard Mix
CHGiffen
Site Admin

Post by CHGiffen »

See my comments in a new topic "Octatonic series and warmup tuning exercises"
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki