Background Chorus in Puff Daddy's "No Way Out" Int

Discussions relating to performance, interpretation, score preparation, musica ficta etc.
shimikano

Background Chorus in Puff Daddy's "No Way Out" Int

Post by shimikano »

Hi

On the first track of the album "No Way Out" by Puff Daddy there is some nice a capella choral music playing in the background.

Here's the first 24 seconds of the track in question (190 KB).

Does anyone of you guys happen to know that choral piece? Would be cool :)

Thanks in advance.

PS: I'm not talking about the chorus at the beginning of "I'll be Missing You" on the same CD, which, of course, would be Samuel Barber's Agnus Dei.
DaveF
Site Admin

Post by DaveF »

It's definitely Handel... but that's as far as I can go. It may be from Israel in Egypt or Saul - that's not much help to you, but may prompt someone else reading this. Sorry can't be more precise.

DF
shimikano

Post by shimikano »

DaveF wrote:It's definitely Handel... but that's as far as I can go. It may be from Israel in Egypt or Saul - that's not much help to you, but may prompt someone else reading this. Sorry can't be more precise.
Thanks a lot, DaveF, for your reply.

May I ask what makes you believe it's Händel? Are you really certain about that?

Israel in Egypt can be ruled out, I checked a recording.

I can't even figure out the words or language they're singing, despite many efforts... So, if someone could make that out it would already be a progress to me.

Anyway, here is the full track (1:20, 1.9 MB), for those interested :)

Thanks again.
DaveF
Site Admin

Post by DaveF »

I thought Handel because it reminded me very much of "And the Lord hath laid on him", from the end of "All We like Sheep" in Messiah. But you're right, the language is impossible to make out. Anyone else any ideas?
edward

Post by edward »

I wouldn't say definitely Handel... personally I don't think it sounds anything like Handel!

The text sounds like it might be a Kyrie?

No idea what piece, sorry. It's possible it isn't actually a quotation of a work but just a piece written specifically for that song.