Looking for source of Vivaldi's "Vieni, vieni o mio diletto"

For MUSIC REQUESTS and QUESTIONS about availability, including Copyright issues
Cdalitz

Looking for source of Vivaldi's "Vieni, vieni o mio diletto"

Post by Cdalitz »

Dear collected wisdom,

does anyone know from which source Vivaldi's little aria (?) "Vieni, vieni o mio diletto" stems?

I was asked by a singer to accompany it on the theorbo, but she only showed me a copy of a modern edition (which one, she could not tell me) with a written out piano (sic!) accompaniment without any hints what is original and what not, and it is very unlikely that this is by Vivaldi. Unfortunately the edition does not give a Ryom-number, so it may well be that the piece is a fake.

I guess it is for voice and basso continuo in the original, and would like to track down the piece to have a reasonable source to start with.
choralia
Site Admin

Re: Looking for source of Vivaldi's "Vieni, vieni o mio dile

Post by choralia »

Apparently (Worldcat) it's from the opera "Ercole su'l Termodonte", RV 710.

Max
Cdalitz

Post by Cdalitz »

it's from the opera "Ercole su'l Termodonte", RV 710
Many Thanks!

Unfortunately, this does not make the search easier, because according to Wikipedia the score to this opera has been lost.
RISM lists some manuscript copies of some tracks of the opera, but apparently this piece is not among them. It seems to be a detail from a longer aria:

http://www.vivaldi-daedalus.eu/en/vivaldi.html
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

This source reports that this work has no RV number, and it is part of the collection of Vivaldi's autograph manuscripts available at the Italian national library in Turin. If I remember correctly, they offer a reproduction service that is quite tricky as one must actually obtain a quotation from a third-party supplier who provides the reproduction services for the library.

Max
Cdalitz

Post by Cdalitz »

If I remember correctly, they offer a reproduction service that is quite tricky as one must actually obtain a quotation from a third-party supplier who provides the reproduction services for the library.
I have just received a letter from the library, but it is all in Italian and I am not quite sure how to fill out the form. Moreover there is no price list, which is no problem if the price is somewhat reasonable. Usually libraries charge about 1 Euro per page, but I am not sure whether the situation in Italy is different.

Max, were you ready to help me filling out this letter? If yes, is there a way how I can send you a scan thereof?

Christoph
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

I would be happy to help. Please contact me via email: info (at) choralia.net or massimo (at) capozza.it.

If it is the same form that I received around one year ago for another work, it is just an authorization to perform the reproduction, which should be done by a photographer that you can freely select. They also suggest a local photographer (some "Studioelletorino") who can take care of the whole operation. So, in practice the quotation is made by the photographer, the library just provides the authorization. My gut feeling is that it will be more expensive than a normal reproduction service (old and rare books need to be handled with special care, and a third party is involved). Anyway, I'm ready to assist.

Max
Cdalitz

Post by Cdalitz »

To close this thread: I have posted an urtext edition of the manuscript copy of this little aria under Vivaldi's works at CPDL.
CHGiffen
Site Admin

Post by CHGiffen »

Many, many thanks for posting this!
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki