Arnaldi's copyright

For MUSIC REQUESTS and QUESTIONS about availability, including Copyright issues
Marghek

Arnaldi's copyright

Post by Marghek »

Anyone know who holds the copyright of Antonio Arnaldi's works? b. 1900 d.1984, so copyright probably exists still. I have a pdf of a motet for Easter (Haec Dies) by him which I can only think came from CPDL originally. There is now no trace that I can find on CPDL or anywhere of this work or any other published work by him.

The pdf is a poor representation - marked for STB and organ although the S is low and the T rather high. I have recast it for SAMen and corrected (what I consider to be) wrong notes. I think it's much better in my version and I'd like to copy it and perform it - and publish it to CPDL - if I can get permission.

Thanks for any help.
Alan Knight
choralia
Site Admin

Re: Arnaldi's copyright

Post by choralia »

This work was published in 1936 by Zanibon (http://www.zanibon.it), and it is still available in the Zanibon's catalogue (item number 3045). We may reasonably assume that there is an agreement in place between Arnaldi's estate and Zanibon for revenues arising from sales of Arnaldi's works. Therefore, it is quite unlikely that one may obtain, for free, a permission to publish an alternative version, as it would interfere with Zanibon's publishing business.

This specific work may be public domain in the US, as apparently it was not registered at the US copyright office in 1936, when it was published first (I checked the copyright records at http://archive.org/details/copyrightrecords). Copyright renewal would have occurred in 1964, and no renewal records are present either in that year. So your version might be eligible for being published on CPDL, as the original version is (probably) public domain in the US. However, as you are located in the EU, you cannot benefit from the public domain status in the US, and you need a permission to make and publish your version. You may contact Zanibon and try to obtain a permission through the publisher, but I wouldn't be optimistic about a positive response from them.

Max
CHGiffen
Site Admin

Post by CHGiffen »

I'm quite certain that CPDL has never had the Haec dies of Arnaldi. It would have been before the move to ChoralWiki in 2005, and the previous catalog from the old site does not list it.
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki
Marghek

Post by Marghek »

Thanks, both. I'll attempt to follow it up with the publisher, though I doubt I will have any luck as you note, Max. :(

CHG: I think my source may have been Simone Oliveri's site because there are two Perosi pdfs within the same hour of downloading, both marked '(c) 2000 Simone Oliveri ... ' (The Arnaldi is not so marked.)

If I get a "result" (as they say in soccer) I'll post again.
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

Marghek wrote:I'll attempt to follow it up with the publisher
OK. Should they have any problems with English, I'm Italian so I can help.

Max