Binchois and Anonymous

For MUSIC REQUESTS and QUESTIONS about availability, including Copyright issues
funkmaster

Binchois and Anonymous

Post by funkmaster »

I know this might be some work but I would really like these two pieces if someone has some time to get them from a local University Library. I would like "Les tres doulx yeux" by Binchois and "The Mass of Barcelona" and "The Mass of Toulouse" both of which are Anonymous. Most likely they will be in the same book as "The Mass of Tournai". Any help would be great!
DaveF
Site Admin

Re: Binchois and Anonymous

Post by DaveF »

I would be slightly concerned (others may disagree) about the legality of simply copying modern editions of the two masses, given the amount of (modern) editorial work that has gone into creating them. The Barcelona mass, for example, is incomplete in its Tenor part, so any modern edition will include an editorial reconstruction which (unless the work of an editor who was more than 70 years dead) would clearly not be in the public domain.

Having said all of which, best of luck - those early masses are crazy pieces, but great fun to perform.

DF
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

Dave brings up a good point about the potential copyright concern. CPDL respects the intellectual property of others. We ask that users do likewise (especially in any issue that involves use of CPDL sites including this discussion board).
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

Worldcat reports that editions of these works were published by Editions de l'Oiseau-Lyre: Binchois in 1937, the two masses in 1956.

Apparently the publisher didn't perform the copyright registration in the US. I checked the copyright records of 1937/1938 and 1956/1957, and I didn't find the editions in subject. If so, they are probably public domain in the US.

The Binchois edition was edited by Jeanne Marix (1896 - 1939), so this is also public domain in all countries applying the 50 or 70 pma rule.

The masses were edited by Leo Schrade (1903 – 1964), so the edition should be public domain in US only.

Copying them should be OK for US citizens/residents, as well as for non-US citizens/residents in the case of Binchois. Publication on CPDL should be also possible. Further checks on public domain status in US may be required, though.

Max
funkmaster

Post by funkmaster »

With that said and assuming an edition meets copyright standards is there anyone out there that might be able to supply a copy?
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

Maybe you can find a copy in your local libraries or arrange an interlibrary loan. Worldcat (http://www.worldcat.org) is a great resource to identify libraries holding copies of scores. For example, if you are located in Missouri (just a guess :roll: ), you can find copies of the Binchois at the following libraries:

Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, MO 64105 United States
University of Central Missouri Library, James C. Kirkpatrick Library, Warrensburg, MO 64093 United States
University of Missouri -- Columbia, Ellis Library, Columbia, MO 65201 United States
Washington University in St. Louis, St. Louis, MO 63130 United States

Max