Magnificat - Durante

For MUSIC REQUESTS and QUESTIONS about availability, including Copyright issues
elgato88

Magnificat - Durante

Post by elgato88 »

Hi,
I am looking to have two characters in a short film sing a few lines of Durante's Magnificat a cappella, and I'm not sure what kind of license/approval I need, or how to credit the copyrighted material in the credits. I'd appreciate any advice you have to give.
Thank you!
choralia
Site Admin

Re: Magnificat - Durante

Post by choralia »

Editions of this work available on CPDL are released under the CPDL license conditions, that are specified at:

http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/ChoralWiki:CPDL

This is a significant excerpt:
Copyright confers many individual rights: the right to control the distribution, duplication, performance recording and/or modification of a musical work. The CPDL License is designed to make sure that you have the freedom to distribute copies of music (and charge for this service if you wish), that you can freely perform or record the edition, that you can change or re-edit the edition (with certain limitations, see below); and that you know you can do these things.

To protect your rights to access, we need to make restrictions that forbid anyone to deny you these rights or to ask you to surrender the rights. These restrictions translate to certain responsibilities for you if you distribute copies of these editions, or if you wish to modify them.

For example, if you distribute copies of a musical work under the CPDL license, whether gratis or for a fee, you must give the recipients all the rights that you have. You must make sure that they, too, can freely distribute, perform and record the musical work. And you must show them these terms so they know their rights.
Usually, credits in films are shown at the end of the movie. I would suggest you to specify that music from Durante's Magnificat was performed under the CPDL copyright conditions, and show a URL to CPDL so that recipients can find details on the CPDL website concerning their rights should they wish to re-use the music performed in the film.

Max