Inquiry regarding a Renaissance choral work

For MUSIC REQUESTS and QUESTIONS about availability, including Copyright issues
hnorth153

Inquiry regarding a Renaissance choral work

Post by hnorth153 »

Hello!

I am brand new to this forum, and I am hoping someone on this site will be able to help me. I am a passionate lover of Renaissance choral music, and I have stumbled across a gorgeous piece, but have been unable to identify the composer or the name of the piece.

A few weeks ago, I watched a beautiful film from the 1970s entitled Death in Venice (I'm sure you've heard of it!). There is a particular scene in the film that takes place in the Basilica of San Marco, and in the background, a gorgeous song is being performed by the choir. I am not sure if I'm correct, but it seems to be polyphony in the Italian style. I have been combing through music, but cannot find this particular piece anywhere. Strangely enough, it does not appear on the soundtrack for the film, nor in any of the credits.

I have provided a link within this email to a You Tube video, which contains the very scene, and song, I am looking for. The song occurs at exactly 8:35 into the video, and it's very prominent, so it cannot be missed. The clip is from my personal playlist, and I assure you it is most safe. If there is any way you can provide me with information concerning this gorgeous song, I would be most grateful. I have had a rather terrible time trying to locate it so far, and would love to add it to my music collection.

Here is the link for the mentioned clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2E6UK3x ... re=related

Thank you SO much!

-Heidi
DaveF
Site Admin

Re: Inquiry regarding a Renaissance choral work

Post by DaveF »

hnorth153

Post by hnorth153 »

THANK. YOU. SO. MUCH!!!! You just made my entire week! THANK YOU! :D
hnorth153

Post by hnorth153 »

Hello again!

Forgive me, but do you happen to know of any recordings of this work? I have been searching, but can only find recordings of part of Palestrina's Offertorium.

Thank you so much again for your help!!!!

-Heidi
DaveF
Site Admin

Post by DaveF »

The only recording of an "Illumina oculos" by Palestrina I can find is at http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/alb ... m_id=64893, although there is no indication whether this is the 5- or the 3-part setting, and $38 might be a bit too much to pay just to find out. The 1997 release date is misleading, too, as the recording was originally made in 1961, so might not represent Palestrina as we would wish to hear him today. The only solution is to find four like-minded friends and sing it!

DF
CHGiffen
Site Admin

Post by CHGiffen »

DaveF wrote: ... The 1997 release date is misleading, too, as the recording was originally made in 1961, so might not represent Palestrina as we would wish to hear him today. The only solution is to find four like-minded friends and sing it!
:D That's a good point ... and a funny one, Dave! :D
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki
hnorth153

Post by hnorth153 »

Many thanks to all of you for the help!

I am going to submit this as a proposed work to the Charlotte Symphony Chamber Choir for our season. I agree, the best way to hear/experience music like this is to research the piece, and perform it with "like minded friends."

So, once again, thank you so so so much!

-Heidi
panda

Post by panda »

I have an LP of this recording - it is the 5 part motet, and I think the Regensburg choir would sing it rather differently today compared to how they sang it in 1961!
hnorth153

Post by hnorth153 »

Ah, it is the 5 part motet! Thank you for that info!

Forgive my ignorance, but in what way would the Regensburg Choir sing the piece differently? I am not familiar with this particular choir. I'm curious to know!

:) :)

-Heidi
pml
Site Admin

Post by pml »

Molto vibrato e rubato, I should think, back then... PML
panda

Post by panda »

Well I decided I had better have a listen. Indeed it is molto vibrato but the tempo is quite steady. A sensational upwards scoop on Il---lumina at the start got my immediate attention. I am sure the Regensburger Domspatzen have much better blending and intonation these days.