Bach Christmas Oratorio

For MUSIC REQUESTS and QUESTIONS about availability, including Copyright issues
Jonathan Crutchfield

Bach Christmas Oratorio

Post by Jonathan Crutchfield »

Can someone explain to me how I can find who holds the copyright to the Bach "Christmas Oratorio"? On cpdl the copyright owner is listed as "Personal."

I am interested, in particular, in receiving permission to reprint a movement of this work in a choral program. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Jonathan Crutchfield
jcrutchfield@mpbconline.org
choralia
Site Admin

Re: Bach Christmas Oratorio

Post by choralia »

This work is obviously in the public domain, however editors may have added some creative elements to their editions, thus intellectual property rights may apply. In some countries a "graphical copyright" is also recognised, applicable to each specific typesetting, so intellectual property rights may arise even if no creative elements are added.

When "personal" copyright is chosen by an editor, the editor is supposed to specify coopyright conditions on his/her personal page or on the score itself. Unfortunately, some editors forget to add these details. If no details are available, I would suggest you to contact the editor of the specific score you are considering. Your local regulations should be also taken into account, especially as far as "graphical copyright" is concerned.

Max
Jonathan Crutchfield

Re: Bach Christmas Oratorio

Post by Jonathan Crutchfield »

Thank you very much for your quick and thorough response.