Deeplinking to (at least copyrighted) YouTube content

For MUSIC REQUESTS and QUESTIONS about availability, including Copyright issues
Robert Urmann

Deeplinking to (at least copyrighted) YouTube content

Post by Robert Urmann »

I'm a bit concerned about recently added deeplinks to YouTube containing copyrighted material in some cases. I don't know if contributors are aware that "broadcasting" on YouTube does not imply the rights owners' permission to host their work there and to freely distribute it – even if it's "low fidelity".

One recent example are 3 URLs on the Brahms Requiem page referring to commercial recordings. I temporarily uncommented them – you can look it up in the source code – until there is a guideline on how to deal with it. Don't get me wrong: I appreciate any hint to legal sources of recorded or printed music, but hosting ripped audio/video on YouTube is not the right way. To me, hyperrefs from CPDL to there aren't kosher. One of the links on the Brahms Requiem page directs to the respective Wikipedia site where free recordings are hosted!

I'm interested in everyone's opinion.

Yours,
Robert
CHGiffen
Site Admin

Re: Deeplinking to (at least copyrighted) YouTube content

Post by CHGiffen »

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Robert. I share your concerns and suspect that other CPDL admins will also feel that we should remove links to ripped commerical recordings.

Chuck
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki
vaarky

Re: Deeplinking to (at least copyrighted) YouTube content

Post by vaarky »

I've deleted the links, thanks.