Upload Limit

Forum for all users to discuss the implementation and operation of the ChoralWiki at CPDL
Nikolaus Hold

Upload Limit

Post by Nikolaus Hold »

One of the goals of CPDL is to grow. You can see this by looking at the progress bar for new scores on the main page (3000 goal). But that should not lead to a contest, who can upload the fastest. In my opinion, quality also takes time. Therefore, I would like to present the following heretical suggestion to the administrators:

Limit the Add-Works process to allow a user to upload only a maximum of 2 works per day.
joachim

Re: Upload Limit

Post by joachim »

Hi Nikolaus

I respectfully disagree. One of ChoralWiki's most prolific contributors, André Vierendeels, always has his scores published in batches (through me).
His contributions are mostly original transcripts from original prints or manuscripts, give or take the odd work by his own hand. Limiting this input would put serious restraints on CPDL's growth path.

Cordially

Joachim
Admin
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

I agree with Joachim: limiting the number of daily contributions just causes problems to those who upload batches of scores prepared over longer periods of time.

Regarding quality, CPDL has the duty of providing free access to everybody, including contributors who want to submit their editions and compositions. Limiting the freedom of submitting any type of compositions or editions represents some sort of censorship, which definitely is not part of CPDL's DNA. Freedom is two-ways: for contributors, who may freely upload any kind of compositions and editions, even when quality is poor (except, obviously, any clearly offensive materials); and for users, who may freely discard compositions and editions they don't like.

Max
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

Are there other ways we could recognize and/or encourage scores of high quality, without the risk of a rating system discouraging people from contributing editions that have errors since these are nonetheless valuable?