Proposal for renaming page: Missa Octavi toni (Orlando di La

Forum for all users to discuss the implementation and operation of the ChoralWiki at CPDL
Jaquick

Proposal for renaming page: Missa Octavi toni (Orlando di La

Post by Jaquick »

I propose that the page "Missa Octavi toni (Orlando di Lasso)" be renamed "Missa Jäger (Orlando di Lasso)", for the following reasons:
1. The Library of Congress name authority for this work is: Lasso, Orlando di, |d 1532-1594. |t Missae variis concentibus ornatae. |p Missa Jäger (ARN 97037265)
2. "Missa Octavi Toni" is not the most common name of the work, either in present use or in the original sources. There are three prints from di Lasso's time; all three use "Iager" in the title. 2 have it as "Missa ad imitationem moduli (Iager)", one as "Missa iager". I suspect that the parentheses are the publishers' embarrssment at what to do with a mass that was not a parody mass, but one designed for the ruler's hunting day (Get him out the door quickly). In the manuscripts, three read "Missa venatorum" (the non-macaronic version of "Missa Iager") and 2 read "Missa Octavi Toni". I don't know where our contributors are getting "Octavi Toni" from, unless it's that way in Proske, Widmann or Bank; the Lasso collected works has it as "Missa ad imitationem moduli iager."
3. Because of 1 and 2 above, I missed its presence here and lost face in a public forum.

There would be no need to have contributor's editions modified in any way, but we would need a cross-reference to Octavi toni, because that's where cpdl users have gotten used to fining it (one to "Missa Venatorum" would also be nice).
CHGiffen
Site Admin

Re: Proposal for renaming page: Missa Octavi toni (Orlando d

Post by CHGiffen »

I assume this can be handled nicely enough with redirects from each of the various title forms to the one singled out as the CPDL name for the page.
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki