best redirect approach for misattributed work?

Forum for all users to discuss the implementation and operation of the ChoralWiki at CPDL
vaarky

best redirect approach for misattributed work?

Post by vaarky »

I would welcome feedback about discussion at:
Talk:Ave_Maria_a_4_(Tomás_Luis_de_Victoria)

Since there already existed a Victoria Ave M a 4 page with 6 editions, and new research convincingly makes the case that is was misattributed to Victoria, is the best approach now to:

1) create a Ave M a 4 (Gallus) page and redirect to the existing Victoria page -- this is the approach I've taken so far; OR
2) move the contents of the Ave M a 4 (Victoria, misattributed) page to the equivalent Gallus page and instead let the Victoria work page be the redirect, even though the editions themselves say Victoria?
carlos
Site Admin

Re: best redirect approach for misattributed work?

Post by carlos »

When I find situations like these, I usually opt for the second alternative (moving the works page title under the correct composer's name), and add to each misattributed edition a note about the error. I also keep links to the page from both the misattributed composer as well as from the true composer. I believe that this approach is more informative and eventually will lead to new editions being prepared with the correct composer name.
CHGiffen
Site Admin

Post by CHGiffen »

I agree with Carlos on this approach. :)

On a side note:

The article (on the talk page for the (misattributed) Victoria Ave Maria a 4 which identifies Gallus (Handl) as the composer of the makes no mention at all of the fact that some of the correspondences between the misattributed work with known Gallus settings also correspond remarkably well with the traditional plainsong (Gregorian) hymn. This is not surprising, since all these (and other composers') settings make user of the Gregorian material. Notwithstanding this, it does seem quite likely that Gallus was the correct composer, in large part for the other reasons cited, although the article itself is somewhat deficient in careful documentation.
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

Okay, I've moved to to live under Handl.
Jaquick

Post by Jaquick »

I know it's a closed topic, but I'd like to make a counterargument: all main entries should be under where they will be searched for, for patron ease. I also note that the Library of Congress still attributes the work to Victoria. As a librarian, I would like to see a close correspondence between LC and CPLD naming conventions, unless there's a good reason not to (e.g., what ever the choral equivalent of Stravinsky's Vesna svaschennaia would be)
CHGiffen
Site Admin

Post by CHGiffen »

I fail to see what the difference is from the standpoint of patron ease - with redirects to the work from the misattributed "Title (Composer)" format, and with leaving the misattributed title listed on the misattributed composer page, the use looking for, say, the Victoria 4-part Ave Maria will still find it readily enough.
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki