Print margins

Forum for all users to discuss the implementation and operation of the ChoralWiki at CPDL
joey12543

Print margins

Post by joey12543 »

I am new to Choralwiki. I would like to suggest that you recommend minimum print margins for submissions, or perhaps two standard margin options, one for production of "bound scores" and the other with wider margins for insertion into loose-leaf ring-binder folders. If you already cover this point somewhere, then I apologise, but I have been unable to find it mentioned (via a search).

I was very pleased to find the Liszt Missa Choralis available. However, I found the print margins very narrow (approx 1 cm); when I punched binder holes in the edge of the double-sided printed sheets, some notes and other info were lost. I found a workaround to produce wider margins by first printing with a "PDF creation" utility which fortunately offered a variation on the standard paper size, but it was tedious, and produced a PDF file of almost 8MB out of the 2MB original.

A quick check on some other scores showed wider margins, which suggests that you don't yet have a standard governing these.
choralia
Site Admin

Re: Print margins

Post by choralia »

It's difficult to define standards that are fine for all cases, taking into account different paper sizes (e.g., A4 vs. Letter), different binding alternatives, and so on. I think that the best solution is to adapt a given pdf file to the individual needs.

To such purpose, I would suggest using a free tool named "PDFill PDF Tools" (http://www.pdfill.com/pdf_tools_free.html). The function to increase margins is named "Reformat Multiple Pages". As an example, I've added half a inch to all margins of the Liszt's "Missa Choralis" file (by chance, I've just completed the production of training aids for this work). The file obtained using PDFill PDF Tools has approximately the same size of the original file (see attachment).

Max
Attachments
mch1.pdf
(2.1 MiB) Downloaded 540 times
joey12543

Post by joey12543 »

I quite agree with your solution, it is the best. Many thanks for pointing out the PDFill tools, I have been looking for something like this for a while.
Regards.
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

If I'm not mistaken, you can adjust page margins before printing simply by going to the "print options" or "page configuration" menu item of your browser, without the trouble of having to produce a second pdf for that. It usually works fine for me.