someday, I wish CPDL could have a feature that...

Forum for all users to discuss the implementation and operation of the ChoralWiki at CPDL
CHGiffen
Site Admin

Re: someday, I wish CPDL could have a feature that...

Post by CHGiffen »

Experimental development with a warning about expectations makes sense, Vaarky. I still worry about feasibility and ease of implementation, though, which might detract from otherwise valuable time spent elsewhere.

In the early music group I mentioned, music was frequently one (or occasionally) two to a part, especially when we were operating in madrigal mode or reading soli within larger scale Renaissance sacred works. I've had the experience of being called a few hours before a performance to come sing in the circumstances you describe - it really gets the adrenalin pumping!! And I've done (usually summer) sight-reading sessions (including more than just early music situations) with one on a part with better than average sight-singers, and we usually "got it right" the first time; however, this is not how I get my musical jollies, even though I'm considered an excellent sight-singer (I'm much more geared to performance). One of my mixed experiences along these lines came years ago when I was asked to be the bass soloist in Bach's Cantata "Wachet auf ruft uns die Stimme" (which I had never sung before) - I believe I was called on a Thursday, tracked down a score on Friday, had one rehearsal on Saturday at which the soprano greeted me with "I hope you're not one of those Helden-baritones who drowns everyone out", and sang a performance on Sunday at which the soprano revealed her diva nature by singing at least twice as loudly as she did in rehearsal in apparent attempt to outshine everyone, resulting in what I felt was a spoiled rendition of the two soprano-bass duets! I didn't make any mistakes, except to think the soprano might actually be worried that I might sing too loudly. :(

Chuck
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki