Musescore

Use this forum for HELP at Choral Public Domain Library as well as FEEDBACK
Dirk

Musescore

Post by Dirk »

Is there is any reason why Musescore format source files are not in the list of allowed source formats when uploading scores? Whilst mscore sources are a form of compressed musicxml, they are not MusicXML [tm]. Exporting mscore source to MusicXML will likely lose information and therefore I think it should be allowed to have its own category.
MAC089

Re: Musescore

Post by MAC089 »

Hi Dirk, I too would like to know the reason for this, and hope that an administrator might give a reason, but my guess is that Musescore source files (as opposed to say, Lilypond) might be executable enough to pose a risk of viruses etc.
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

ChoralWiki is based on the MediaWiki software engine, i.e., the same used by Wikipedia.

In the most recent versions of MediaWiki some changes have been introduced regarding the way additional file types are managed, so we intended to add new file types after upgrading to these new versions.

However, the upgrading was repeatedly postponed because the new versions were also affected by a serious problem, much more important than just a new file type to add, at least for certain tasks that ChoralWki administrators have to frequently perform. Eventually (and thanks also to our support to the MediaWiki developers to identify and isolate the problem), MediaWiki version 1.29 was released few weeks ago, and the problem seems solved in this version. We can now proceed with the upgrading, which will be carried out tomorrow, September 2nd, 2017, between hrs. 8 and 10 GMT. After that we will be able to add new file types, including Musescore.

Max
MAC089

Post by MAC089 »

Thanks.