Automated add score outline missing step?

Use this forum for HELP at Choral Public Domain Library as well as FEEDBACK
David Cameron

Automated add score outline missing step?

Post by David Cameron »

Yesterday I attempted to upload an arrangement of Stanford's "Ye Choirs of New Jerusalem". I followed the "Help: Automated add score process" document, which is printed out on my desk as I write. I went to the work page, clicked the "Add new edition" tab, filled in the "Add new work form", and from it followed the "Upload now" process. I uploaded first a combined file (score + parts), and then a MIDI-generated mp3. Then I completed the "Add new work" form and submitted it.

Step 6 of the "Automated score process" outlines several steps for composer pages amended automatically. But none of the suggested indicators seems to be there. I'm sure I missed something or took a misstep but I don't know where.

Related, perhaps, is the note on the "Add works form" that to link to a page you should use a link with the filename formatted in double << >>. But it doesn't say where to put this, or in what sequence.

Can somebody please explain what I'm doing wrong?

David Cameron~~
choralia
Site Admin

Re: Automated add score outline missing step?

Post by choralia »

This seems to be the same problem reported to me by another user. For reasons that I haven't been able to identify so far, when a file is uploaded through the "Upload now" button, the filename is not passed to the "add work" form, so the text box with the filename remains empty. The problem can be circumvented by entering the filename in the text box manually, however I would like to figure out the reason.

Please try to submit the edition again, as the previous attempt apparently failed. Please check whether the filename shows up automatically in the filename text box of the "add work" form after you upload the file using the "Upload now" button. If it doesn't, there's definitely something wrong. Please let me know what happens.
David Cameron wrote:Related, perhaps, is the note on the "Add works form" that to link to a page you should use a link with the filename formatted in double << >>.
This is interesting. What browser are you using? Where is this note precisely located? There shouldn't be any "<" or ">" characters displayed on the page, so I wonder if there are any compatibility problems between the html code of the "add work" form and your browser, causing the displaying of html control characters. This may be the key symptom to trace the cause of the problem.

Max
David Cameron

Post by David Cameron »

Thanks Max. The filename did show up automatically.

I beg your pardon (always verify sources!). They weren't << >>--but {{ }}. It's on the "Upload file" page and looks like this:
{{filepath:file.pdf}}. Should I have done something with this--and if so where?

When I tried to upload the score again, it said "A file with this name already exists, and it is the one I uploaded already, at:
http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/File ... _Parts.pdf

The same with the mp3 file I uploaded, which is at:
http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/File ... d_file.mp3

So the materials did upload, but I failed to set the link to the work page, which is at
http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Ye_c ... tanford%29

Sorry--I don't know what went wrong.

David~~
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

David Cameron wrote:Should I have done something with this--and if so where?
No, you can neglect it. When the process works normally, this is done automatically by the system.
David Cameron wrote:When I tried to upload the score again, it said "A file with this name already exists, and it is the one I uploaded already, at:
http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/File ... _Parts.pdf
This is the issue: the "&" character in the filename. The filename shows up in the "add work" form, however it is trunkated just before the "&" character, and the form doesn't work properly then. I can probably tweak the scripts and make them tolerant with respect to the presence of this character in the filename, however the file was uploaded already with the "&" so we have to use a workaround. I propose to proceed as follows:

1) you fill in the "add work" form as normal, except that you specify the following filenames by entering the text in the boxes (without actually uploading any files):

score file: Stanford_Ye_Choirs_of_new_CPDL_Score_and_Parts.pdf (please note: I replaced "&" with "and")
mp3 file: Stanford_Ye_Choirs_sound_file.mp3

2) submit the form as normal.

The system should automatically edit the relevant work page, and add your edition to it. However, the page will point to a non-existing file because of the "and" in lieu of "&" in the filename. This has to be edited manually on the work page. If you go through steps 1 and 2 above, I can do this final step for you.

Thank you for highlighting this issue with the "&" character!

Max
David Cameron

Post by David Cameron »

Thank you Max--it seems to be up and in place. It doesn't appear under "Arrangements" on my contributor page--what's needed for that?

David~~
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

David Cameron wrote:what's needed for that?
In principle one can copy-and-paste to your composer page the corresponding work entry on the Stanford page. It seems that other arrangements were added this way. However, I'm not sure this is the best way to manage arrangements, in general. I'd rather use categories. Any suggestions from our librarians?

Max