CPDLnumber and Contributor Name

Use this forum for HELP at Choral Public Domain Library as well as FEEDBACK
Sbkees

CPDLnumber and Contributor Name

Post by Sbkees »

Hello,

I am a newbee in publishing scores on CPDL. I am working now on Obrechts Missa 'Malheur me bat'
( http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Miss ... b_Obrecht) ).

I have 2 questions :
1) Is it OK that the second score has the same CPDL-number (#38088), and how is that number determined ?
2) When do I use my username (Sbkees) and when my Full Name ( Kees de With ). I am now in the list Contributors as Sbkees.

Thanks
choralia
Site Admin

Re: CPDLnumber and Contributor Name

Post by choralia »

Thank you for contributing to CPDL! :)

Regarding you questions:
Sbkees wrote:1) Is it OK that the second score has the same CPDL-number (#38088), and how is that number determined ?

No, each edition should have its own CPDL number. The CPDL number is assigned automatically when you enter the score submission form. The same CPDL number is only re-used when the same edition is replaced by a new one incorporating minor modifications only (e.g., correction of errors).
Sbkees wrote:2) When do I use my username (Sbkees) and when my Full Name ( Kees de With ). I am now in the list Contributors as Sbkees.
The full name should be used for attribution of the edition to you (e.g., in the "editor" field). We usually create a redirect page that associates your username to your full name, so that in practice your username acts as an alias of your full name. I've just done it.

Max
Richard Mix

Post by Richard Mix »

Max,

Perhaps it has been laid out elsewhere already, but could you please expand on the rational for CPDLnumbers? As one of many different types of users it's hard for me to understand whether it's useful to anybody to use separate edition numbers for transpositions of (the same) edition, or letter/A4 size pdf's, let alone how to merge separate movements (see http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Talk ... _di_Lasso)) or offer instrumental parts.
Claude_T

Post by Claude_T »

Consider that an edition is generally a group of three files: score, sound and source files.
Each edition deserves a CPDL number. A CPDL number must be delivered by filling an AddWork form.
When a work has several 'movements', it receives several CPDL numbers (the editor must fill an AddWork form for each movement edition,
like each time an editor adds his edition of the same work/movement.
But many editions have more than one PDF (full score, parts, lute tablature, basso continuo, etc.) of the same work/movement.
That can be under the same CPDL number (only one AddWork form filled).
Am I understandable?
____
Now I have found a free CPDL number for the first movement of the mass cited above. BTW, is this mass incomplete, with only two 'movements'?
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

Claude_T wrote:But many editions have more than one PDF (full score, parts, lute tablature, basso continuo, etc.) of the same work/movement.
That can be under the same CPDL number (only one AddWork form filled).
This probably represents the current situation, however I'm not sure this is correct from a library viewpoint. Full scores, vocal scores, parts, etc., usually receive individual catalogue/edition/ISBN/ISMN numbers from publishers, and (probably as a consequence) they also receive individual catalogue/registration numbers from libraries. I would therefore suggest to stick to the principle mostly used by publishers, i.e., the same catalogue/edition number is only used in the case of reprints (that is not applicable to our digital library) and in the case of reprints with corrections (that also applies to our digital library). Every individual "editorial item" that is intentionally different from others (i.e., except differences related to the correction of errors) has a specific edition number assigned to it.

Max
Claude_T

Post by Claude_T »

But the little book with the audio CD or the DVD is under the same ISBN.
The paper model isn't the only one on the Internet. :)
Should we get a CPDL number for each file?
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

Claude_T wrote:But the little book with the audio CD or the DVD is under the same ISBN.
Yes, and in our context a score with the relevant MIDI, source, and mp3 files have all the same edition number, as they belong to the same "editorial item". It's just the same concept.

Max
Richard Mix

Post by Richard Mix »

But I still don't get the "why" of it. Wouldn't it be simpler to automatically give a unique number to each uploaded file than to have NNNNNmidi, NNNNNpdf &c and not make people jump through the submission process hoops?
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

Richard Mix wrote:But I still don't get the "why" of it. Wouldn't it be simpler to automatically give a unique number to each uploaded file than to have NNNNNmidi, NNNNNpdf &c and not make people jump through the submission process hoops?
The reason is just the way it was since the beginning, probably strongly influenced by the fact that the website was not initially a wiki.

In principle we can do whatever we like now, however we have to cope with many thousands files and editions that have been submitted so far under an edition-based numbering concept.

Max