Dedicated page for Orlando Furioso settings?

Use this forum for HELP at Choral Public Domain Library as well as FEEDBACK
agarvin

Dedicated page for Orlando Furioso settings?

Post by agarvin »

Hello,

I've been uploading my madrigal settings of texts by Ariosto (among a bunch of other stuff) for the past couple weeks. Ariosto was the second most-set poet for composers in the 16c after Petrarch, and I've made a project of transcribing madrigal settings from Orlando Furioso for the past 3 years. New Vogel identifies more than 300 extant settings. James Haar did a more complete catalog that puts the number well above 400. I've got around 35-40 transcriptions left to upload (and I've got scans or photocopies to occupy me for years to come to in setting more).

Would it be all right and appropriate for me to create an Orlando Furioso page to aggregate the texts together, rather than have them spread out across lots of text pages as they are now? I'd like to divide them by Canto, with ottava numbers listed, links back to settings on CPDL, probably with supplementary links to arias from OF-inspired opera arias that do not set literal text. The only texts included on the page would be texts for which settings actually exist on CPDL. I'm standardizing the Italian text to Emilio Bigi's definitive edition, and for English I've been using William Rose's translations. There's a wealth of public domain translations in assorted languages.

So: do you think it's all right to proceed with this, and has it been done before or are there any models on CPDL to follow when creating such a page?

Allen Garvin
carlos
Site Admin

Re: Dedicated page for Orlando Furioso settings?

Post by carlos »

Hi Allen, I think it's a great idea! The same could be done to other texts that have achieved similar popularity, such as Gerusalemme liberata (Jerusalem delivered) by Tasso etc.