Link from CPDL to a composer database

Use this forum for HELP at Choral Public Domain Library as well as FEEDBACK
Tony Dowson

Link from CPDL to a composer database

Post by Tony Dowson »

I'm a newbie here. Can anyone tell me how I go about setting up a link from within CPDL to an online composer database that I host? The database contans basic information on over 43,000 people with published music to their name, and is constantly updated. It can be searched in various ways and the search results linked to a Google reference, if one exists.

I believe the database is a useful resource. Ultimately I think it could be turned into a Wiki, editable by anyone, but currently it is managed by two dedicated gentlemen who have spent 30 years building it. My role has simply been to write the display software and upload the result.

You can find it at at http://www.harant.co.uk .

Your comments would be much appreciated.
carlos
Site Admin

Re: Link from CPDL to a composer database

Post by carlos »

Hi Tony, I've checked the website, it seems to have indeed a huge amount of data. The site may be useful as a source of information when a new composer page is set up on CPDL, so I've created an entry for it under our Websites category: http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Chor ... _Composers

You might like to know that the composer lists by surname are not being alphabetized properly; see for instance the last entries under M and N.

Best regards,
Carlos (talk)
CPDL Administration
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

Hi, Tony--

For the page Carlos created, please go ahead and (optional) edit it to update the Manager information using whatever contact information you wish to appear. You can add your name and, if you wish, a link to contacting you or else an e-mail address (I suggest obfuscating it to make the address less easily scraped by spammers, since it's a public page).

Thanks for reaching out about this helpful information.
Tony Dowson

Post by Tony Dowson »

Thank you to both. I'm really grateful that you've set this up. I'll certainly edit the entry as you suggest and look into the alphabetisation issue.

Best wishes,

Tony