Concerti 1587 by Andrea and Giovanni Gabrieli

Use this forum for HELP at Choral Public Domain Library as well as FEEDBACK
choralia
Site Admin

Concerti 1587 by Andrea and Giovanni Gabrieli

Post by choralia »

Sabine Cassola and Bruno Schiffels prepared a huge score (398 pages) containing the first volume of Concerti 1587 by Andrea and Giovanni Gabrieli (almost 50 pieces). I uploaded the file and added a "collection" section in both composer pages, linking to the same work page, but I'm not sure this is the best way to manage this submission. Any ideas?

Max
vaarky

Re: Concerti 1587 by Andrea and Giovanni Gabrieli

Post by vaarky »

Fantastic! I don't see the "collection" info on the two Gabrieli composer pages, though (on www2, checked by eyeball and also by searching in my browser for "coll" within one of the Gabrieli pages). I hope I'm not overlooking something.

I think ultimately it would be good to have titles for each individual work in the collection pound-included (whatever the wiki equivalent is) into on each composer's page. It would be even better if the collection could be broken down into separate small files, so someone looking for a single composition doesn't have to download, open and print from such a large document. Is breaking down the collection something that a CPDL volunteer could do (licensing permits this), or can we request a zip file of the individual compositions?
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

vaarky wrote:I don't see the "collection" info on the two Gabrieli composer pages
The "collection" section has been just mirrored on all visitor websites.
vaarky wrote:I think ultimately it would be good to have titles for each individual work in the collection pound-included (whatever the wiki equivalent is) into on each composer's page. It would be even better if the collection could be broken down into separate small files
I agree, and this was actually my initial intention, i.e., to add some 50 new scores. However, this would take some time, therefore I decided to upload the whole collection so that the workload may be possibly distributed. Please note that individual work pages are being created anyway: as the facsimile of this score was published on IMSLP, some CPDL users are typesetting it, already divided into individual items, so we may get eventually two or more typesets for the same item.

Max
CHGiffen
Site Admin

Post by CHGiffen »

I think it is probably best to treat the Concerti 1587... as a "Collections" (or "Publications") page - along the lines of other music publications/collections. This means providing a list of all the works (in sortable table form) with links to pages for individual works. Of course, it makes perfectly good sense to include the master PDF on such a page. The present PDF of volume I seems to be on the "diplomatic" side, as it presents only the (original) text underlay for the top part (in the works I've checked so far) - leaving the task of supplying text underlay for the other parts to the editor(s) of the individual works.

All that said, this is an invaluable addition to the CPDL collection. I'm thrilled to see it!
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

CHGiffen wrote:This means providing a list of all the works (in sortable table form) with links to pages for individual works.
I'm not sure about what you mean with "sortable table form". For the moment, I've simply added a list of works in the collection using a format that already links to the individual work pages. Most work pages have yet to be created, while some were already present as other contributors had prepared their own editions for the same work. Would this be OK?

Max
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

I think Chuck means the format used for the Eton Choirbook page, which has a table you can sort:
http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Eton_Choirbook
Last edited by choralia on 06 Sep 2011 07:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed faulty link
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

Thank you, Vaarky, very useful example. I'm not much familiar with the sortable table wiki coding, but I'll work it out based on the example.

Max