Simplest method to upload my score

Use this forum for HELP at Choral Public Domain Library as well as FEEDBACK
oscosc

Simplest method to upload my score

Post by oscosc »

Hello friends at CPDL,

I'm a newby here at CPDL and appreciate all your resources. Being totally green when it comes to uploading music and after reading all the directions and forums, I'm still not sure how to go about contributing to your musical library. Basically, I have quite a few 1-2 page TBB arrangements of early 20th century music done in the barbershop style. My friend does most of the arranging and doesn't have a computer. He gives me hand-written copies and I try to put them in the best usuable form that I can using MuseScore. The result looks like a typical song, but I'm not sure if the format is the right size and shape for your needs. Please let me know the simplest method to upload my scores. I don't mind waiting if an admin will do all the posting work. Thank you for your time and I look forward to your answer.
bobnotts
Site Admin

Re: Simplest method to upload my score

Post by bobnotts »

Hi there oscosc. Welcome to the forums! You will find the CPDL score submission guide (mostly written by your truly!) here.

I hope that you'll find it really straightforward. If you run into difficulties, feel free to reply here and someone will help. Otherwise, one of the other admins may be willing to do the posting work for you but unfortunately that person won't be me as I already have too much of a backlog of new scores to check and post.

Cheers, Rob
Rob Nottingham
CPDL Administrator
oscosc

Post by oscosc »

Thanks for your help, Rob. I will try and follow the CPDL score submission guide with a simple song and see what the results are.

Cheers,
Ken
oscosc

Post by oscosc »

Hi Rob,

I tried my best to follow the score submission guide, but found it quite involving. I got through the upload, the add work form, tried to add a new composer page and got lost around the Composer entry and the Works entry. On the new composer page, I was confused about the Wikipedia address entry as the link did't seem to work right. Also, I couldn't find a place to paste the first line of code for my submission on the composer page. After about midnight, I felt I had screwed it up sufficiently and called it a night. Also, I forgot to include in the copyright area of the song that it was an "Old Songs Chorus" arrangement- 2011. If you think I can correct my mistakes and see this thing through, let me know what I need to do. Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Ken
bobnotts
Site Admin

Post by bobnotts »

Hi Ken

That's sorted for you now. Thanks for giving it a good go - not bad for a first attempt! In the future, if you get confused about adding the composer page and works page, don't worry because as soon as you upload the file(s) and run the add works form, the output is emailed to me and a couple of other admins to post on your behalf. Unfortunately, I'm really behind with posting new editions so there can be quite a delay but your editions will be added eventually.

Cheers, Rob
Rob Nottingham
CPDL Administrator
oscosc

Post by oscosc »

Smashing, as they say! I think the mistake I made was copying the new composer template in black and white for reference. This didn't allow me to see all the fields in red that needed to be filled in. Then, I was trying to fill in fields that didn't need data. Anyway, I sure appreciate your resource and help. I think after a few tries, I should be able to navigate much easier. To quote the Barbershop Harmony Society, let's "keep the whole world singing"!

Cheers,
Ken
oscosc

Post by oscosc »

Hi Rob,

Thanks for posting my song "Toyland" so quickly. I was curious about the CPDL copyright. I didn't see any CPDL text added to the song. Was I supposed to include that, or is it covered? Thanks again for your time and help.

Cheers,
Ken
bobnotts
Site Admin

Post by bobnotts »

You're welcome Ken.

The copyright notice is something you would have to add to the PDF yourself. I recommend the following text if you're releasing the edition under the CPDL license:

Copyright © 2011 by the Choral Public Domain Library (http://www.cpdl.org)
Edition may be freely distributed, duplicated, performed, or recorded.

Cheers, Rob
Rob Nottingham
CPDL Administrator
oscosc

Post by oscosc »

Hi Rob,

I uploaded a revised edition that included the "Copyright assigned to CPDL". If I access the song while I'm logged in, the corrected page appears. If I'm not logged in, the old page is still there. Do I need to do anything more, or is this change just waiting approval? Thanks again for your help! I'll get this right!

Cheers,
Ken
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

Logged-in users operate on the so-called "contributor website" (www.cpdl.org), while anonymous users are distributed over multiple "visitor websites" (www1.cpdl.org, www2.cpdl.org, www3.cpdl.org, www.choralwiki.org). Visitor websites are aligned to the visitor website every day around 07:00 - 07:15 GMT (08:00 - 08:15 GMT in winter time). So, any modifications are shown to anonymous users one day later. The alignment has just occurred, so your yesterday's modifications should be now visible to you even if you are not logged-in.

Max
oscosc

Post by oscosc »

Hi CPDL Support,

After submitting my second score "My wild Irish rose", things went much smoother. Thanks for cleaning up my page. I wanted to edit the number of voices=3 and the voicing= TBB ( second tenor, baritone, bass), but I didn't know how , so I put a memo in the summary section. Is this something I can do, and if so, how do I go about it? Or, is this something for the admin to approve and take care of?

Also, I was wondering how the MIDI file was added to my first submission "Toyland" (thanks!) . Do you normally provide this, or do I need to submit a music file?
What is the size limit for music files?

Thanks again for all your help! I have many more songs to submit.

Cheers,
Ken
Claude_T

Post by Claude_T »

Also, I was wondering how the MIDI file was added to my first submission "Toyland" (thanks!) . Do you normally provide this, or do I need to submit a music file?
What is the size limit for music files?
We prefer that each editor take some time more to save his music file as a MIDI file himself and upload it with the PDF. It's not so easy to convert PDF files to MIDIs and errors can occur, especially about tempo. Thanks in advance. About the size of MIDI files, don't worry, it's very 'light'. MP3s are allowed but are about a hundred times 'heavier', with no advantage if they are just converted MIDIs.
oscosc

Post by oscosc »

Hi Claude,

Thanks for your help. I downloaded a MIDI file for "My wild Irish rose", a score I already posted. What is the procedure for adding it to the song page? Thanks again.

Cheers,
Ken