Tracking Favorites or Ratings

Use this forum for HELP at Choral Public Domain Library as well as FEEDBACK
Cdalitz

Re: Tracking Favorites or Ratings

Post by Cdalitz »

vaarky wrote:I've started a first draft at http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Help ... ayout_tips -- please provide suggestions especially for additional items!
While readable score layouts might be of concern to some, I consider it more important to improve the quality of the score contents. I would therefore add the following points to the "score editors guide":
  • Make clear which sources have been used for an edition.
  • Make clear what you have changed with respect to your sources.
  • If you have changed key, clefs, rhythm (some editors, e.g., half all note values), add an editorial note explaining what the original key, clefs or rhythm was.
  • Print the licensing terms (e.g. CPDL license) on the first page of your edition, so that choirs can easily find out whether they may use the score for a public performance.
I understand that most choirs do not care about the sources as long as the piece "sounds good" and the score is easy to read. I believe however, that a "Choral Library" should care about the quality of its contents.

Chris
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

Good suggestions; I've added them.
bobnotts
Site Admin

Post by bobnotts »

This is great, Vaarky. I'm glad that you added a link to the page I created ("the perfect edition") on the page you created, but it would make more sense to me if the two pages were combined. Essentially, we just want existing and potential CPDL editors to have a simple, helpful guide of what their editions should be - sources, typography, musica ficta, copyright - the full works. What do you think about merging the two pages and expanding under a different title?
Rob Nottingham
CPDL Administrator
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

No objection to merging them; your original title makes more sense. I'll plan to do this but am about to travel for a week.

If you want to do this before I get back, we should leave a redirect at the old location, however, since I wrote to let the person who did the WIMA version and check the What Links Here for the old location, since the Help index and possibly other docs link there too.
DaveF
Site Admin

Post by DaveF »

If contributors adopt the excellent idea of including information on sources in all editions, doesn't this mean there will have to be some careful scrutiny of all newly uploaded scores to ensure the source is in the PD? For example, if someone contributed an Eton Choirbook edition and listed the source as "Musica Britannica Vol.10" (which includes extensive editorial work by Frank Ll. Harrison (1905-87)), then obviously CPDL couldn't host that. Not suggesting that any of our contributors would knowingly copy a copyrighted edition, but you never know...

DF
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

CPDL's review practices would not have to change if people included source information in their scores. I think it is consistent with good scholarship to encourage people to cite their sources.
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

BTW, Merely citing Frank's Eton Choirbook might not automatically be a violation -- depending on factors such as whether other editions were also cited, what care was demonstrated in avoiding Frank's own contributions (which can be significant, esp. where he reconstructed lost parts) beyond the essence of the original composition itself which is in the public domain.