Cannot get past Upload instruction 7

Use this forum for HELP at Choral Public Domain Library as well as FEEDBACK
chuck herrold

Cannot get past Upload instruction 7

Post by chuck herrold »

I am not getting a page with "Image:[your filename] after completing step 7 under Uploading files. The name of the file does display, but right clicking on it does not bring up a drop-down list with "Properties." This is my first attempt to upload a score.
CHGiffen
Site Admin

Re: Cannot get past Upload instruction 7

Post by CHGiffen »

The page you actually get is now called File:<filename> (instead of Image:<filename>), after "Image:" was changed to "File:" in the wiki. And instead of right-clicking on the (blue) link (eg. Herr-ogod.MUS in your case) and selecting "Properties" (or "Copy this link location" in some browers), you could also (in most browsers) move the cursor over the link and read the file location (eg. http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/images/d/d2/Herr-ogod.MUS in your case). This is what the 8th step of the instructions is getting at - the actual URL for the uploaded file.

However, since all of this, the Add Music form has been updated so that all you actually need to enter is the exact name you gave to the uploaded file (in your case, it would be simply Herr-ogod.MUS). Then the form uses special wiki code {{filepath:<filename>}} to obtain the URL directly without your having to go through all the link gymnastics to get the URL. The form is smart enough to recognize "http:// ... <filename>" as being a URL and "<filename>" as being something for which it should retrieve the URL.

I hope this helps, and thanks for submitting your work.
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki
bobnotts
Site Admin

Post by bobnotts »

Is it worth updating the guide, Chuck?
Rob Nottingham
CPDL Administrator
CHGiffen
Site Admin

Post by CHGiffen »

Hi Rob. I think updating the guide would be a very good idea, especially on file uploading - with {{filepath:...}}, we no longer need to ask users who upload files to specify the URL (and this is often the most confusing for them). Also, at present, uploaded MP3 files are not processed by the Add Work form, so that form should be tweaked as well.
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

CHGiffen wrote:at present, uploaded MP3 files are not processed by the Add Work form, so that form should be tweaked as well.
I've tweaked the Add Work form (actually, the php script processing the form) to handle the mp3 files, too. I've tested it, anyway let's keep an eye on it for the next submissions: I think it should be revised a little bit, as its maintainability is not best at the moment.

Max
chuck herrold

Post by chuck herrold »

Charles,
I did find the URL for my piece using your instructions, but I still do not know what do with it. The various iterations of the piece are not actual revisions, but represent unsuccessful upload attempts.
I think I need more help. I do expect to upload some other things in time.
Thanks,
Chuck Herrold