Song Translation

Use this forum for HELP at Choral Public Domain Library as well as FEEDBACK
dwood

Song Translation

Post by dwood »

I found a song that I would like to use, however, the language is German. It is a SAB arrangement of what was originally a bass solo (Erlkonig - music C. Loewe, SAB arr. B. Schumann). It is an exact reproduction of the original work (accompaniment, time signature, key signature, format, etc.) except it is been arranged SAB and is written in German with no alternate English translation given. Another listing-song link for the same title (same page even) is the original bass solo which has both the German and English. Is it permissible for me to use the SAB arrangement with the English translation of the solo work? I would really like to do this piece with a group of students, but do not want the added challenge of a foreign language for this particular situation.
Thanks, Debbie
choralia
Site Admin

Re: Song Translation

Post by choralia »

The edition with English text is hosted on an external website (Art Song Central), so you should verify any copyright constraints therein. For this specific work, Art Song Central reports that the source is "German, French and Italian Song Classics (Volumes 1-4)", edited by Horatio Parker (1863-1919) and published by The John Church Company in 1912. This source is definitely public domain in the US (and probably everywhere else), so I think you can freely use it for any purposes, including to extract the English text to create another edition.

The SAB edition by B.M Schürmann is released under the CPDL copyright policy (see http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/ChoralWiki:CPDL), so you can modify it to create a new edition as stated under item 2 of the license conditions. If you then publish the new edition with English text on CPDL, this would be certainly appreciated by our community.

Max
DaveF
Site Admin

Post by DaveF »

Debbie,

It might be polite to try to contact Burkhart Schürmann to check that he's happy for you to put English words to his arrangement. You could drop a note onto his user page at http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/User ... C3%BCrmann to ask him, although since the only other question posted there has gone unanswered, I don't know whether you'd get a reply. I would be inclined to treat "no answer" as an agreement. In any case, as Max says, you're free under the terms of the CPDL licence to modify his edition, provided the new edition carries a notice to that effect, with or without his agreement.

DF
bms

Post by bms »

Hi Debbie, Max and Dave,

do as you wish with my choral arrangement :-)

Best wishes
Burkhart