Richard N

Main page problem?

Post by Richard N »

Hi!

When I type 'cpdl.org' into the address bar, I am redirected to:

http://www2.cpdl.org/wiki/

and the following text appears:

Main Page

The database did not find the text of a page that it should have found, named "Main Page" .

This is usually caused by following an outdated diff or history link to a page that has been deleted.

If this is not the case, you may have found a bug in the software. Please report this to an administrator, making note of the URL.

I tried deleting my own history and cookies in Mozilla, but it continued to occur, and also if I google cpdl, and use those links.

Can someone check this?

For the benefit of the unwashed masses...

Richard N.
choralia
Site Admin

Re: Main page problem?

Post by choralia »

Thank you for the info, but unfortunately (or fortunately :D ) I cannot confirm the problem: the main page is displayed normally to me. Are you or others still experiencing this problem?

This type of problem may occasionally occur when the daily mirroring from the contributor website (www) to the visitor websites (www1, www2, www3) aborts for some reasons, so one mirror might be incomplete. This is normally recovered automatically within one hour.

This is the period of the year when traffic towards ChoralWiki is maximum, so we've recently added www3 to the cluster. Maybe the probability of a glitch during the mirroring process is a little bit larger in this period due to the huge server load.

Max
Richard N

Post by Richard N »

Yes, it seems to work again now - I got directed first to www3 and then www1, and both displayed fine - lets see if it happens with www2 again.

Richard N
Richard N

Post by Richard N »

Sorry, just got directed to www2, and the same message appears on the front page.

So it seems that www1 and www3 work but not www2.

Richard N
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

Hi Richard, this is really weird; I just tested www2 and everything loaded fine.
Carlos (talk)
CPDL Administration
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

It seems a cache problem: either your browser or a proxy server you use to access the internet (probably unknowingly) have cached such a www2 page, and they display it to you in lieu of the actual page provided by the CPDL server. You should try to clear your browser's cache and/or to ask your browser to bypass any proxy.

Mozilla Firefox
To clear the cache: Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Offline Storage -> Clear Now
To bypass proxies: Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Connection settings > No proxy

Microsoft Internet Explorer
To clear the cache: Tools -> Internet Options -> General -> Browsing history -> Delete -> Delete internet temporary files.
To bypass proxies: Tools -> Internet options -> Connections -> LAN settings -> Use a proxy server -> Advanced, then add * (or *.cpdl.org) in the box "exceptions - do not use a proxy server for addresses beginning by".

If the problem is due to a proxy, I'm not sure if your Internet Service Provider will actually allow the browser to bypass it, anyway it is worth to give it a try.

Max
CHGiffen
Site Admin

Post by CHGiffen »

The Main Page problem seems to be present at www1 and www2, although differently (haven't checked www3).

As of now (Sunday morning 8:44EST =13:44GMT), the Most Recent Scores section on www1 shows scores only through September 25. Most telling is the Browse CPDL section which on www1 indicates "(Updated 26 September 2010, 02:06)" ... but this is actually a link, and clicking on the link takes one toChoralWiki:CPDL statistics at www1 that is correctly "(Updated 3 October 2010, 08:48)".

Meanwhile, at www2: There is no Main Page at all, other than:
The database did not find the text of a page that it should have found, named "Main Page" .

This is usually caused by following an outdated diff or history link to a page that has been deleted.

If this is not the case, you may have found a bug in the software. Please report this to an administrator, making note of the URL.
Clicking on the "view source" tab does bring up the source for the Main Page, but that is of little help to users.

Moreover, (since I often use it instead of the Main Page), going to User:CHGiffen/MainPageTest brings up a viewable alternative to the Main Page (which is planned to replace the Main Page eventually, hopefully soon). However, the Most recent scores section still only lists scores through September 25. Clicking on "This month" at the bottom brings up ChoralWiki:September 2010 scores, which lists scores through September 28. Moreover, all the items in the first column of the TestMainPage are similarly out of date ... in particular, the September 29 "CPDL News" item is not present.

With respect to that news item, although the link does not appear on the Main Page (and/or MainPageTest), the target page "ChoralWiki:Milestone - 12,000 score pages" is indeed present on both www1 and www2.

These problems persist even after taking Max's recommended actions to clear the cache and bypass proxies (I'm using Firefox - it took a little checking, since things seem to have moved in the latest version of Mozilla Firefox).

It all seems most perplexing to me.

Chuck
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

I guess there might still be some "debris" related to the short period of time when file caching was activated to cope with the large traffic level. I de-activated file caching, but maybe I did not completely "eradicate" the possibility that cached files appear again on visitor servers. I've just found some cached files and I've deleted all of them. I've also implemented some changes to the mirroring process so that, if for any reason cached files appear again, they are automatically deleted when the daily mirroring is performed. Nevertheless, I really cannot understand why cached files may be selectively shown to certain users and not to others. Is the problem still visible to you who can see it?

Max
CHGiffen
Site Admin

Post by CHGiffen »

Problem fixed from my vantage point! Many thanks Max!

Chuck
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki