Message for David Fraser

Use this forum for HELP at Choral Public Domain Library as well as FEEDBACK
Richard N

Message for David Fraser

Post by Richard N »

A message for David Fraser:

Dear David,

Am a newly registered user on this site, but have for a long time now used CPDL as a resource for choral music - am very satisfied.

I'd like to pose a couple of questions directly to you, if I could - wasn't sure how to post a question other than through this forum. If it's in the wrong place etc. I beg forgiveness!

I'm very impressed with your editions of the Byrd masses - they're very clear to read, well laid out, and you've obviously taken a lot of care in preparation. Thank you for making them available here. I'm looking to perform the 5 part mass, and the questions relate to that:

1: Why is the text sometimes italicised?
2: Where could I find information relating to current performance practice and realisation of Byrd's music? I'm living in Finland (working as a church musician and completing a masters in church music at the Sibelius Academy), so would primarily be interested in WWW info, but can also arrange inter library loans, and have access to most of the current journals online etc.

Thanks in advance,

Richard Nicholls
colladaniel

Re: Message for David Fraser

Post by colladaniel »

I do not know exactly who is incharge
how come it is a week now and there no new scores published in CPDL
since Septemer 15.

thansk
Daniel Colla
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

@ Richard Nicholls: I would suggest you to leave a message to Dave on his "talk" page (a.k.a. "discussion" page) on the wiki. He will probably receive a notification via email that his talk page has been modified, so he may more promptly reply to you.

@ Daniel Colla: you should create a new topic, rather than replying to a topic on a completely different subject. Anyway, I'm not sure about what you mean. Seven new editions were added yesterday (September 21) on the contributor website (http://www.cpdl.org), and all of them are also visible on the visitor websites (www1.cpdl.org and www2.cpdl.org). Can you see them? Few days ago we activated a MediWiki feature helping the server to manage a larger amount of traffic, as we foresee very high traffic peaks in October and November. I wonder if this new setting may trigger some specific effects that we cannot see ourselves. Could you please provide more info, and help me to reproduce your problem?

Max
Richard N

Post by Richard N »

Hi!

Thank you - I found his discussion page, but didn't seem to be able to find a way of leaving a message directly there. I see you have left a message on my behalf. Could you point me in the right direction to be able to do this, please?

Richard N
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

Hi Richard, it was I who left a message to him. To start a conversation with him is easy: once on his discussion page, just click on the tab with a plus sign, on top of the page. You'll be directed to another window with a Subject line and a large box for the body of your message. (but you must be logged in to be able to do this).

Regards,
Carlos (talk)
CPDL Administration
Richard N

Post by Richard N »

Logged in ok, and found discussion page, but failed to find a tab with a plus sign. Tried other discussion pages at random, but failed to find anything on these either. Also created a user account (as prompted when trying to view user pages as opposed to the forum), to see if that would help - it hasn't. Is it possible that the recently mentioned changes to the wiki (adding cpdl1 and cpdl2) have affected this, or am I just missing something! I apologise for this, but feel that I may not be the only one in this situation,

Thanks,

Richard N
CHGiffen
Site Admin

Post by CHGiffen »

Hi Richard.

Go to the page David Fraser. Click on "discussion" at the top. When that discussion (talk) page opens, click on the "+" sign next to "edit". This opens the discussion page for edit at the bottom, where you add a topic (eg. Message for Dave) and add your message, then save it, and you're done! :)

Hope this helps!

Chuck Giffen
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

Hi Richard, this is what I see when I open David Fraser's user page:
david1.png
(note the words "user page" in bold)

When I click on the "discussion" tab, I am taken to another page, and the options now are these:
david2.png
(note the word "discussion" in bold now, and the plus sign I was talking about)

If what you see is different from these images let me know.
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

And what happens when you then click the + sign between the Edit tab and the History tab? (It is shown in your screenshot.)
Richard N

Post by Richard N »

Thank you, both Carlos and Chuck.

What I see is the tabs in this order:

user page discussion view source history ( watch)

'watch' is only visible when I am logged in to the user section.

I understand exactly where I should see the edit and + tabs, but they're not there, regardless of whether I select the user page or discussion page. The pages come into view ok otherwise. I've tried both Mozilla and Internet explorer, and it's the same.

I'm in Finland, and running windows vista on a fujitsu siemens amilo desktop PI 3630. Mozilla is the latest version - cookie settings etc. I don't know about.

I apologise for these inconveniences, and appreciate your patience! Is the problem at my end, or the wiki end?

Richard N
Richard N

Post by Richard N »

Hmm!

Tried another page at random, (François-Xavier Chauchat) where I was greeted with:

There is currently no text in this page. You can search for this page title in other pages, search the related logs, or edit this page.

I clicked on 'edit this page' and got:

You do not have permission to edit this page, for the following reasons:

* The action you have requested is limited to users in the group: emailconfirmed.
* ChoralWiki has restricted the ability to create new pages. You can go back and edit an existing page, or log in or create an account.

Does this shed any light?

Richard N

Richard
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

Richard N wrote:* The action you have requested is limited to users in the group: emailconfirmed.
Does this shed any light?
Hi Richard, I think you found the problem! I've just created a test account and when I went to David's page I saw the same options as you. When I clicked on the "view source" tab, I received the same message too:
You do not have permission to edit this page, for the following reason:

The action you have requested is limited to users in the group: emailconfirmed.

You can view and copy the source of this page:
That means that in order to be able to edit pages, you'll need to change your personal settings ("my preferences"), add an email address, and confirm it (this is done by clicking on the link in the email you'll receive.)

This extra step of requiring email confirmation was introduced some time ago in order to reduce spamming on the wiki. But I agree with you that the wiki should present this information to new users in a more convenient way... we'll see what can be done on this respect.
Carlos (talk)
CPDL Administration
Richard N

Post by Richard N »

Thank you!

I spotted an email confirmation message in my own inbox - clicked on the link, which initially said i had to log in. I did so, and now can see the edit and + tabs. It wasn't clear that I had to confirm the e-mail at first glance. Could this be made more user-friendly? Also, it's not clear that registering for the forums page does not automatically register you as a user (or did I miss something else?).

Thanks a lot, hope this exercise has shed some light. Now I can ask David Fraser my questions myself!

As I said before, this wiki is a very valuable resource for those working in the choral world, and the standard of scores in both terms of presentation and historical research is raising all the time, with some rivalling that of commercial publishing houses!

With thanks,

Richard N
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

Hi Richard,

I'm glad we've been of some help, and thanks for your valuable feedback. We'll try to address this email issue somehow.

Best regards
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

Just a follow-up:

After changing one of the wiki's email configuration settings, this is the default message that is presented now when a new user clicks on the "view source" tab:
You do not have permission to edit this page, for the following reasons:

* The action you have requested is limited to users in the group: emailconfirmed.
* You must confirm your e-mail address before editing pages. Please set and validate your e-mail address through your user preferences.

You can view and copy the source of this page:
This new message is much more informative than before. Let's see if this alone will be enough for other users.