Wrong Haydn for Requiem in c

Use this forum for HELP at Choral Public Domain Library as well as FEEDBACK
brianr0922

Wrong Haydn for Requiem in c

Post by brianr0922 »

The Requiem in c minor is incorrectly attributed to Franz Joseph Haydn on the CPDL site. It was actually written by his younger brother Michael following the death of Archbishop Seigmund in 1771. F.J. Haydn never wrote a requiem while Michael wrote three. This piece should be relinked to the correct Haydn.
carlos
Site Admin

Re: Wrong Haydn for Requiem in c

Post by carlos »

Hi Brian, I was checking Michael Haydn's entry in the Grove Dictionary, and indeed he composed a lot of Church music; among the masses with undoubtful attribution there is a "Pro defunctis in c, st559, c1792–5, draft;" but also a "Pro defuncto Archiepiscopo Sigismundo, st155/klI:8, 31 Dec 1771, ed. C.H. Sherman", which I suppose is the one you cite. Could you please confirm that? There are many others with doubtful attribution:
Grove wrote:Doubtful: over 60 masses, attrib. ‘Haydn’; over 60 others, each attrib. both to M. Haydn or only ‘Haydn’ and to another comp., incl.: klI:28, also attrib. G. Reutter (ii), klI:29, also attrib. L. Hofmann and Krottendorfer, klI:33, also attrib. Krottendorfer and Schneider, klI:34, also attrib. Schneider, klI:36, also attrib. Heimerich, klI:37, also attrib. Strasser, klI:38, also attrib. J. Haydn (h XXII:G1) and Diabelli
Regards,
DaveF
Site Admin

Post by DaveF »

Yes, it's quite correct, it is the Michael Haydn C minor requiem. We already have an edition, so I've merged the pages. I didn't feel a need to put a redirect under Joseph Haydn since, as far as I can see, there has never been any question of the piece's authorship.

DF
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

Sorry Dave, but I had to revert the merging. Although both works are in c minor, they are different compositions. As the Grove Dictionary also cites a Pro defunctis in c from circa 1792–5, Manfred Hößl's Requiem is possibly this one.
DaveF
Site Admin

Post by DaveF »

Oh, how annoying - hope it didn't cause you too much work. My assumption that both works were "The" Michael Haydn Requiem was obviously unfounded.

DF
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

No problem, Dave!
fermi

Post by fermi »

Hello,

I've just stumbled upon this topic while browsing on the net.
I provided Mr. Hoessl with the score upon which he based this CPDL edition.

The work in question is listed under the catalogue number Hob XXIIa:c1 - it is probably not by J. Haydn; a possible candidate is Franz Joseph Aumann but the attribution to the latter person is also doubtful. (Once I saw an article mentioning a certain Ignaz Asssmayer (1791-1862) as the author, however for stylistical reasons I personally believe this work is the fruit of the 18th century.)

The 'original' score was published by Vieweg-Verlag in 1928; the editor attributed the composition to J. Haydn - here, in Hungary, whenever this requiem is performed, the name of the composer is given as Haydn.

Best regards,

F.