MuseScore

Use this forum for HELP at Choral Public Domain Library as well as FEEDBACK
rickb

MuseScore

Post by rickb »

Hi all,

I'm new here - this is my first post. :-)

I was reading the "downloadable tools" page http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Chor ... able_tools and I wondered about an omission. I have used several of the tools listed there but now I prefer MuseScore (http://www.musescore.org/), which is free, works on all the major PC operating systems and has SMF and MusicXML import and export ability. Therefore the CPDL probably ought to include it in the recommended list.

Also, it might be a good idea for the submission guidelines to help contributors choose formats that are open rather than proprietary, or at least understand the difference. I know there are 10,000 listings and it looks to me like most of them are in proprietary formats, which is not going to change any time soon. But still it would be good to aspire to use open formats as much as possible.

My 2p :-)
Rick
vaarky

Re: MuseScore

Post by vaarky »

Thanks for sharing your thoughts--you bring up several good points.

CPDL is shaped by user input. Users are encouraged to update the Tools page directly to add tools that aren't covered but should be. Please include information there for any tools that belong on that list (including the one your mention which sounds like it fits in well). If you have trouble making the edits, please post here for assistance and someone can help get your suggested content updated.

I think it's also a great idea to create a separate primer (linked to from that Tools page) that covers open versus proprietary formats (even if free to use). Would you be able to assist with content for such a page?
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

Hi Rick and Vaarky,

I suggest the reading of the thread below before editing the "Downloadable tools" page, since a similar discussion took place in it:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4458&start=0

Regards
Gacb

Post by Gacb »

I'm also a MuseScore user (Linux/Ubuntu version) and the MusicXML format is apparently supported by over 50 notation applications, including Finale and Sibelius.

As it's and open source, virtually universal translator (Trekkies take note), it should be the default format for uploaders.
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

Is there some graphical indicator that exists or can be created without too much effort, that we could add to entries in the Downloadable Tools page to indicate software that is open source? Or maybe an add'l narrow column that would indicate one or both of Free or O/S* (explained elsewhere as standing for open-source software)? It would be nice if people could tell at a glance...
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

Yes, I believe that an additional column could be added for this. In fact, I'm not very happy with that table's current layout and structure, which is a bit too complex and may be discouraging people from editing that page. I'll see if I can come up with a simpler layout for it. (If you have any idea too and wish to give it a try, please go ahead!)