finale viewer and MAC

Use this forum for HELP at Choral Public Domain Library as well as FEEDBACK
Kathy Tichenor

finale viewer and MAC

Post by Kathy Tichenor »

Good evening all,

While trying to download some chant on Able Di Marco's site, I needed to download finale viewer, however it seems that I am unable to access this software using my MAC. I already have Note pad and the reader, however I am unable to view the documents, any ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated, I don't want to go back to my PC since all of my music work is now on my MAC.

Best regards,

Kathy
Kat
carlos
Site Admin

Re: finale viewer and MAC

Post by carlos »

Hi Kathy, I'm not sure I understood your problem:
1) were you able to run Finale NotePad in your MAC, but you couldn't open Di Marco's documents? or
2) you couldn't even run Finale NotePad/Reader for any technical/compatibility reason?

Please provide us with some more details so that we can narrow a bit the possibilities.
CHGiffen
Site Admin

Post by CHGiffen »

If I'm not mistaken, the Di Marco site is set up to use Finale Viewer directly imbedded (much like other sites use Scorch) to open files, without supplying any form of link to the actual source files (the pages open as .htm pages and Finale Viewer must be installed). This is a real disservice for those using Mac OS (also Linux, I think). On the other hand, I recall reading somewhere that, with a bit of snooping, it is possible to track down the source files on the Di Marco site.

The best solution would be for Di Marco either to permit the creation of PDF files, hosted at CPDL (or possibly at the Di Marco site), or to provide links to the Finale source files alongside the links to the .htm pages requiring Finale Viewer.

Chuck
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki
bobnotts
Site Admin

Post by bobnotts »

On the other hand, I recall reading somewhere that, with a bit of snooping, it is possible to track down the source files on the Di Marco site.
Kathy, if you go to this file directory: http://www.pucpr.edu/diocesis/musica/, you can view all of the Finale files available on Abel's site. Simply download the .MUS file you want to your Mac and open it with Finale Reader.

Rob
Rob Nottingham
CPDL Administrator
CHGiffen
Site Admin

Post by CHGiffen »

I've just sent Rev. Di Marco a longish email, outlining the problem and suggesting several possible solutions. Admins will receive a CC of this email. I worry a little that we do not have explicit permission to download the Finale .MUS files as Rob suggested, and raised granting permission (indeed providing the URL) as one possible solution.

Chuck
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki
Kathy Tichenor

Post by Kathy Tichenor »

Thank you for your responses,

Chuck is right on, I will try your solution, Notepad and reader both open but not the viewer..

Thanks
Kathy
Kat