Main site gives database error

Use this forum for HELP at Choral Public Domain Library as well as FEEDBACK
reinhold

Main site gives database error

Post by reinhold »

Has the server migration gone havoc or has it not been finished yet? Each time I want to visit a page, I get the error:

Code: Select all

Database error
 A database query syntax error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the software. The last attempted database query was: 
UPDATE `wikisite_stats` SET ss_total_views=ss_total_views+1 LIMIT 1 
 from within function "SiteStatsUpdate::doUpdate". MySQL returned error "1205: Lock wait timeout exceeded; try restarting transaction (localhost)".
CHGiffen
Site Admin

Re: Main site gives database error

Post by CHGiffen »

The server migration is not yet complete. The main site is still operating in Read Only mode, but the server itself is very slow, and those lock timeouts occur rather frequently. I just loaded the Main Page and another page, though, so the success seems to vary.

Chuck
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki
Cdalitz

Post by Cdalitz »

MySQL returned error "1205: Lock wait timeout exceeded; try restarting transaction (localhost)".
Hm, I do not know the current status of transaction support in MySQL, but MySQL has a reputation for poor transaction handling (this may have changed recently with Sun having purchased MySQL, but who knows).

From the above error message it seems that the transaction handling is done with locking. For a database with much more read than write operations, it might be worthwhile to try a database with MVCC transaction handling, because in that case read operations can never fail and are nevertheless consistent.

Good luck and thanks for your hard work.
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

Hi Cdalitz, the new website where CPDL is hosted uses store engine MyISAM instead of InnoDB, so we probably won't have this kind of lock-related errors anymore.