Caccini Ave Maria

Use this forum for HELP at Choral Public Domain Library as well as FEEDBACK
snowbeary

Caccini Ave Maria

Post by snowbeary »

Does anyone know where I can find the Ave Maria by Caccini arranged for soprano voice?
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

I found this score among those I made for my wife, who is a soprano:

http://www.choralia.net/caccini.pdf

There are two versions inside the pdf file. The file is dated 2005, and I'm pretty sure I found these editions as free editions available on the web. However, I really don't remember the websites and any details about copyright and possible restrictions on their use. If you use them, please do it at your own risk.

Regards.

Max
snowbeary

Post by snowbeary »

Thanks for those and for the information.
Cdalitz

Post by Cdalitz »

Does anyone know from which source this piece is?

I was not aware that Caccini wrote sacred music. Can it be that this is a text underlay under some other secular piece, maybe even with major editorial changes like removing the written out diminuitions, which are very valuable for singers learning how to embellish Baroque music, but are probably less so for singers who already know the style and prefer to add their own embellishments?

I have browsed to both volumes of my facsimile copy of Caccini's Nuove Musiche, but have not found a similar piece.
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

I'm not an expert in this field, however the Ave Maria is mentioned in the Wikipedia article in Italian about Giulio Caccini:
Compose anche una Ave Maria, a dire il vero poco conosciuta, che esprime una dolcezza e una "modernità" sorprendenti.
It means that he composed a not-well-known Ave Maria, which expresses surprising sweetness and "modernity".

The same sentence is not present in the corresponding Wikipedia article in English. Probably such information was considered as a negligible detail by the English editor. If so, we may assume that the Italian article is correct, and therefore Caccini actually composed this Ave Maria entirely.

Regards.

Max