viewing files in Finale Notepad

Use this forum for HELP at Choral Public Domain Library as well as FEEDBACK
ddbmus

viewing files in Finale Notepad

Post by ddbmus »

A number of music files are listed as "Smartviewer Music" files. This program no longer exists. I've discovered that Finale Notepad has replaced this program, but I still can't view any files that are supposed to open in that format. (I also have Finale 2007, but that doesn't seem to matter.) Any advice?
mjolnir

Post by mjolnir »

As is happens, there is a way to use Finale Notepad to open files set to open with the SmartMusic browser plug in (later, I believe, renamed by Finale, the "Finale Music Viewer"). However, the files which are set for use with the SmartMusic viewer are external to the site, and are copyright, so I am not prepared to discuss how to use the Notepad to access those files.

If one does a CPDL search for "Abel Di Marco", you can eventually link to an external page, which provides a directory of the scores to which Father Di Marco has provided links, as well as a link to the Finale Music Viewer.

Because so many of the files are copyright, the only advice I feel comfortable giving at the moment, is for you to try to contact the contributor of such files, and secure permission to obtain the files in another format.

If you are unable to contact the contributor, post another note here, and if one of us cannot help, we can at least disable the link.

ns
Wilbour

Post by Wilbour »

mjolnir wrote:we can at least disable the link.
Just a thought, but as there appears to be several people having the tools or methods to make use of the files published by Father Di Marco, maybe disabling his links would be unfortunate.
ddbmus

Post by ddbmus »

I sent an email to diMarco via the website to which CPDL links on Tuesday, however I have not received a reply as yet.
mjolnir

Post by mjolnir »

[quote="Wilbour"][quote="mjolnir"]we can at least disable the link.[/quote]

Just a thought, but as there appears to be several people having the tools or methods to make use of the files published by Father Di Marco, maybe disabling his links would be unfortunate.[/quote]

My suggestion about disabling the links was not intended to include Fr. Di Marco's site at this time. However Fr. Di Marco was not the only one to make use of the old SmartMusic / Finale Music Viewer, and I have not examined personally all of the sites to verify that the others are all still available. My comment about disabling links was made with the idea that there might be some other sites which used the same software, and that the owners of those sites might not respond, or might not agree to make the scores available for opening in Notepad.

ns
mjolnir

Re: viewing files in Finale Notepad

Post by mjolnir »

ddbmus wrote:A number of music files are listed as "Smartviewer Music" files. This program no longer exists. I've discovered that Finale Notepad has replaced this program, but I still can't view any files that are supposed to open in that format. (I also have Finale 2007, but that doesn't seem to matter.) Any advice?
"SmartMusic Viewer" is the same as "Finale viewer", and windows users can download the original version of this browser plug in from the site

http://www.pucpr.edu/diocesis/14cantoral.html

by clicking on the "Finale Viewer" button in the extreme upper right hand corner of the page. Instructions for installing the plug in can be found at

http://www.pucpr.edu/diocesis/Support.html

The page on this wiki at

[url]http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Temp ... Viewer[url]

gives information on obtaining the plug-in for versions of the MAC OS, from 8.6 through 9.2.2. As far as I know there is no version of the viewer for older or newer versions of the MAC OS.

ns